Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sado Mascyclism


First of all, let me say for the record that I am not an ultra-competitive hammer-fest loving pain-junky of a cyclist. That being said, all of the pain and suffering that I have experienced over the many years of cycling has recently led me to contemplate what I believe to be a fairly common thread between cyclists of all shapes and sizes: Why do we suffer through the pain and physical discomfort associated with riding a bicycle? Why do we insist on making sure that everyone is hurting as bad as we are? What is it about pain that that keeps us coming back for more? I don't have definitive all-encompassing answers to this question: While I will try to lay out my thoughts as to why this seems to be a common thread in cycling, I am interested to hear your thoughts and explanations on the topic.

A little background

This particular year has been especially different: It has marked a new beginning of sorts! For the last 15 years of my life, cycling has been my passion, my drug of choice. Although I have not spent every waking moment of the last decade riding my bike, the love of all things cycling has permeated my soul, as well as those I have come in contact with. I am thankful for that facet of my existence.

Why was this year different?? Well, this was the first year since I have been married, where I have had the opportunity to focus on training and riding for predetermined events. Training being the operative word! In the past, thanks to a few people (Jon, Delena, KP, and Weidner), I had the opportunity to complete some pretty epic rides or events however I never really "trained" for them. This was partly due to the fact that as a younger, less responsible person, I was already riding enough just because!

Up until the beginning of this year, jobs, mortgages, kids, and life seemed to have consumed my ability to just ride! Well, I was tired of that and decided to do something about it. Although my wife would argue that I was not as balanced as I should have been, I set off to complete the difficult task of juggling life while trying to actually train! I set some goals to complete some "epic" rides and started pedaling! The more I did it, the more I wanted to do it! The more it hurt, the harder I wanted to train! The better I became, the more I wanted to push! Looking back on it, if that's not masochism, what is?

Sometimes we have to bleed to know we're alive

As a cyclist, I will say that the only true gauge of how you are doing is by comparing how bad the ride hurt in relationship to previous rides. I would argue that as you get in better shape, the rides only begin to hurt worse. This is for two reasons: 1. It never hurts any less, you only get faster. Rather than riding to make riding easier, I find that I ride to try to push the limits farther each time. 2. If you are riding with those that tend to be faster or stronger, the sadist in every rider begins to show as the season progresses. With my riding partners, this phenomenon tends to come out more on the inclines of each ride!! Who needs whips and chains when you have a high VO2 max, no pain receptors and a giant mountain pass at your disposal??

My wife has had a difficult time comprehending this phenomenon: When I come home and tell her how bad the ride hurt and that on more than one occasion I thought I was going to die of a brain aneurysm, that I am not complaining, but almost boasting of my accomplishment! The pain and suffering is a direct result of progress and action. Sure it would hurt if I sat on my ass all season and then tried to ride, but that is not what I am addressing. It never ceases to amaze me that after so much training, it can hurt as bad as it does AND it never ceases to amaze me that no matter who you are and where you are at in your cycling career, there is always going to be room for improvement! You can always get faster. . . I don't care who you think you are!!

The bottom line

The fact that cyclist put themselves through so much pain time after time in the name of "fun" proves my point that all cyclists are masochists. Maybe the questions to ask are these: Which ones are the sadists driving us all to the brink of our pain thresholds? Is it that the masochism is a perpetual cycle and the need to hurt drives us to push the limits? The third but less likely option is that we are all crazy and the voice inside our head is the true sadist! You tell me!


8 comments:

Johnny Mercer said...

sadist may be a harsh word. although we cyclists indeed enjoy a bike ride full of pain, we owe it to ourselves that we've overcome the difficulties of riding long and rigorous rides. and we continually push it further. but we push it further not because we like the pain. we push it further, as all men do in other endeavors, because we want our grasp to exceed our reach. we try to. or what's heaven for.

Anonymous said...

I do it for the pure hallucinogenic effect of seeing Elvis from time to time. Who else can truthfully say that they've literally seen Elvis recently? 13 hours into the Brianhead 100 (yes it took me that long), not only had I seen Elvis, but I'd hung out with him for a while. He is an important cultural icon and I feel privlidged to "know" him, even if only on a limited basis.

Weidner

cycles and cynicisms said...

I would say that Elvis and I are very close but it is more of a love hate relationship! I think last time I saw him though, he kicked me in the teeth! Thanks for the comment anonymous!

Todd said...

I'm in it for the pain, as well as the Elvis, but most of all for the bewildered looks on the locals' faces when we tell them we came all the way from Boston just to swim in the Teacup.

Anonymous said...

For me its Jesus that shows up for alittle visit. And he not the little sweet baby in the manger Jesus. Hes the Barry Gibb, Saturday Night Fever long hair Jesus. Another weird thing he is wearing spurs, and I think spandex under that sweet ass robe. Iam conviced he has a strange sense of humor. He likes to sneak up on me. verbally abuse me, then run like a damn gazelle up around the corner. Its alittle alarming in the daylight. imagine him spooking the hell out of you, then running down the trail laughing until he is out of my HID range. By the time I get to where Keltsey and Scott are Iam like a Vietnam Vet having flashbacks at the slightest twig break.

cycles and cynicisms said...

Kerry! So what your saying is that in your time of need the one set of bike tires in the sand are not from Jesus giving you a ride?? My faith is shaken! I just always figured that the long haired guy that heckled me on rides was Barry Gibb!!

Sabrosa Cycles said...

onza, elastomer based clipless pedals = bondage? I dunno.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the Timp boys. Big props to Mike. The B's are calling your name bud. How about Brad 2nd place in his class. KP, SR, PT, EN great riding, everyone did awesome. Check, and double check your tires for tommorow at wheeler.
Everyone rmember to have fun, and enjoy you hour in the pain cave